Make sure social websites present your content in the best possible way, no matter how your webpage is shared — from sharing buttons on the webpage, browser add-ons / extensions, or URLs pasted directly on timelines and private messages (PM) — the WordPress Social Sharing Optimization (WPSSO) covers all the bases in one fast, light-weight, and full-featured plugin.
A solid social meta tag plugin is the foundation of any good social strategy — WordPress Social Sharing Optimization (WPSSO) gives you total control over all the information social website crawlers need, improving Google Search ranking, social engagement, and click-through-rates on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and many more — independently of any social sharing buttons you may or may not already use (sharing buttons are not required).
WPSSO automatically retrieves and uses information from a wide range or sources, including All in One SEO Pack, bbPress, BuddyPress, Easy Digital Downloads, HeadSpace2 SEO, JetPack Photon, NextGEN Gallery, MarketPress - WordPress eCommerce, Polylang, WooCommerce, Yoast SEO (aka WordPress SEO), WP e-Commerce, Gravatar, Slideshare, Vimeo, Wistia, YouTube, extends the WordPress REST API v2, and much more.
"If you want to make every tweet, like, share, pin, and +1 count, then you should definitely start using WPSSO on your WordPress site." — indexwp.com
"I’m now a customer. This plugin is invaluable and a real time saver. The fact that it won’t slow my site down either is something that also sold me on it." — wpkube.com
"Wherever you are at with the social media marketing strategy for your site, the WP Social Sharing Optimization plugin can help you get better results." — wplift.com
"If you want to get the most out of the social shares your content receives, ensure your content stands out when it is posted on the various social networks, and listed in the search engines, then this plugin is a great choice that covers all the bases." — wpmayor.com
"WPSSO Pro provides a handy tool for your marketing team, and improves your content whenever it’s shared by you or your fans. The free version has a lot of great features and makes a good trial version, but I think that eCommerce sites really benefit from the eCommerce plugin and video integrations (as well as the inclusion of Twitter card support) that the Pro version offers." — sellwithwp.com
Quick List of Features
Free / Basic Version
- Adds Open Graph / Rich Pin meta tags (Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, LinkedIn, etc.).
- Configurable image sizes for Open Graph (Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.) and Pinterest.
- Optional fallback to a default image and video for index and search webpages.
- Supports featured, attached, gallery shortcode, and/or HTML image tags in content.
- Fallback to the image alt value if the content and except do not include any text.
- Validates image dimensions to provide accurate media for social websites.
- Auto-regeneration of inaccurate / missing WordPress image sizes.
- Fully renders content (including shortcodes) for accurate description texts.
- Support of WordPress and/or SEO titles for Posts and Pages.
- Configurable title separator character (hyphen by default).
- Configurable title and description lengths for different contexts (Open Graph, Twitter Card, SEO).
- Includes author and publisher profile URLs for Facebook and Google Search.
- Includes hashtags from Post and Page WordPress tags.
- Includes the author's name for Pinterest Rich Pins.
- Includes a Google / SEO description meta tag if a known SEO plugin is not detected.
- Includes author (Person) and publisher (Organization) social profiles, publisher (Organization) logo, and WebSite Site Name in schema.org JSON-LD format for Google Search and their Knowledge Graph.
- Provides Facebook, Google+ and Twitter URL user profile contact fields.
- Validation tools and special meta tag preview tabs on admin edit pages.
- Customizable multilingual Site Title and Site Description texts.
- Contextual help for every plugin option and comprehensive online documentation.
- Uses object and transient caches to provide incredibly fast execution speeds.
- Additional free extension plugins for WPSSO:
- App Meta for Apple Store / iTunes and Google Play App meta tags.
- Place and Location Meta for Facebook Location and Pinterest Place Rich Pin meta tags.
- Ridiculously Responsive Social Sharing Buttons for great looking SVG buttons in any size.
- Social Sharing Buttons for fast and accurate social sharing buttons.
Pro / Power-User Version
- Twitter Card meta tags:
- Product Card — Product information from an e-commerce plugin.
- Player Card — An embedded video in the Post / Page content.
- Gallery Card — A Media Library gallery or NextGEN Gallery shortcode.
- Photo Card — An Attachment page or NextGEN Gallery ImageBrowser webpage.
- Large Image Summary Card — An image from the custom Social Settings, Featured, Attached, or NextGEN Gallery singlepic.
- App Card — Apple Store iPhone / iPad or Google Play App (requires the WPSSO App Meta extension).
- Summary Card — All other webpages.
- Customizable image dimensions for each Twitter Card type.
- Additional profile contact fields with configurable label and field names.
- A custom Social Setings metabox for each Post, Page, custom post type, user profile, and taxonomy (category and tag) pages.
- Options to include / exclude specific Google / SEO, Open Graph, and Twitter Card meta tags.
- Support for embedded videos in content text (iframe and object HTML tags).
- Integrates with 3rd party plugins and services for additional image, video, product, and content information (see About Pro Modules and Integration Notes for details). The following modules are included with the Pro version, and are automatically loaded if/when the supported plugins and/or services are detected.
- Supported 3rd Party Plugins
- Supported Service APIs
- Gravatar Images
- Slideshare Presentations
- Vimeo Videos
- Wistia Videos
- YouTube Videos and Playlists
Purchase the Pro version on WPSSO.com (includes a No Risk 30 Day Refund Policy).
3rd Party Integration
Aside from the additional support for Twitter Cards, the main difference between the WPSSO Free and Pro versions is the integration of 3rd party plugins and services.
Images and Videos
WPSSO detects and uses all images - associated or included in your Post or Page content - including WordPress image galleries. WordPress Media Library images (and NextGEN Gallery in the Pro version) are resized according to their intended audience (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc). The Pro version also detects embedded videos from Slideshare, Vimeo, Wistia, and Youtube (including their preview images).
Read about the differences between the Yoast SEO (aka WordPress SEO) and WPSSO plugins for social sharing.
WPSSO (Pro version) also supports Easy Digital Downloads, MarketPress - WordPress eCommerce, WooCommerce v1 and v2, and WP e-Commerce product pages, creating appropriate meta tags for Facebook Products, Twitter Product Cards and Pinterest Rich Pins, including variations and additional / custom images.
Forums and Social
WPSSO (Pro version) supports bbPress and BuddyPress (see the BuddyPress Integration Notes), making sure your meta tags reflect the page content, including appropriate titles, descriptions, images, etc.
User Profile Social Contacts
WPSSO (Pro version) allows you to customize the field names, label, and add / remove the following contacts from the user profile page:
- Facebook URL
- Google+ URL
- Jabber / Google Talk
- LinkedIn URL
- Pinterest URL
- Skype Username
- Tumblr URL
- Twitter @username
- Yahoo IM
- YouTube Channel URL
Social Profiles for Google Search
WPSSO provides author (Person) and publisher (Organization) social profiles, publisher (Organization) logo, and WebSite Site Name in schema.org JSON-LD format for Google Search and their Knowledge Graph. The author (Person) markup includes the author's website URL, their profile social sharing image, and all listed contact URLs from their user profile. The publisher (Organization) markup includes the website URL, a corporate logo, a default image, and the publisher Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Twitter business pages.
Complete Social Meta Tags
WPSSO adds Facebook / Open Graph, Pinterest Rich Pins, Twitter Cards, and Search Engine Optimization meta tags to the head section of webpages. These meta tags are used by Google Search and all social websites to describe and display your content correctly (title, description, hashtags, images, videos, product, author profile / authorship, publisher, etc.). WPSSO uses the existing content of your webpages to build HTML meta tags — There's no need to manually enter / configure any additional values or settings (although many settings and options are available). See examples from Google Search, Google+, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, StumbleUpon, Tumblr, etc. — along with screenshots of the WPSSO settings pages.
- Google / SEO Link and Meta Tags
- Facebook Meta Tags
- Open Graph / Rich Pin Meta Tags
- Schema Meta Tags
- Twitter Card Meta Tags (Pro version)
- twitter:card (Summary, Large Image Summary, Photo, Gallery, Player and Product)
WPSSO is fast and coded for performance, making full use of all available caching techniques (persistent / non-persistent object and disk caching). WPSSO loads only the library files and object classes it needs, keeping it small, fast, and yet still able to support a wide range of 3rd party integration features.
Try the WPSSO plugin with complete confidence — when uninstalled, WPSSO removes all traces of itself from the database (options, site options, user and post meta, transients, etc.).
WPSSO support and development is on-going. You can review the FAQ and Notes pages for additional setup information. If you have any suggestions or comments, post them to the WordPress support forum or the Pro version support website.
Install and Uninstall
- Developer Special – Buy one, Get one Free
- How-To Migrate from NGFB to WPSSO
- Install the Plugin
- Integration Notes
- Debugging and Problem Solving
- Uninstall the Plugin
WPSSO General Settings Page — Includes options for Open Graph (All Publishers) site information, titles, descriptions, images, videos, and authors. There is also a Publisher Specific section for Facebook, Google (G+ and Search), LinkedIn, Pinterest Rich Pins, and Twitter Cards.
WPSSO Advanced Settings Page — Allows you to fine-tune some advanced plugin settings, the use of various content filters, custom post meta fields, caching techniques, user profile contacts, and enable / disable a long list of meta tags.
WPSSO Social Settings on Posts and Pages — The social settings metabox allows you to modify the default title, description, and image values, preview an example social share, preview all meta tags, and validate the current webpage with various online tools.
WPSSO "Social Image" and "Social Description" preview columns (available on posts, pages, tags, and custom taxonomy editing pages).
Example Pinterest Product Pin (Zoomed)
Example Facebook Link Share
Example Facebook Video Share
Example Twitter 'Summary' Card (Single Tweet View)
Example Twitter 'Large Image Summary' Card (Single Tweet View)
Example Twitter 'Photo' Card (Timeline View)
Example Twitter 'Gallery' Card (Timeline View)
Example Twitter 'Product' Card (Single Tweet View)
Example Twitter 'Player' Card (Single Tweet View)
Example Social Profiles in Google Search — WPSSO includes author (Person) and publisher (Organization) social profiles in schema.org JSON-LD format for Google Search and their Knowledge Graph.
New versions of the plugin are released approximately every week (more or less). New features are added, tested, and released incrementally, instead of grouping them together in a major version release. When minor bugs fixes and/or code improvements are applied, new versions are also released. This release schedule keeps the code stable and reliable, at the cost of more frequent updates.
Free / Basic Version Repository
Version 3.8 (2015/09/03)
This latest version include new dismissible warnings for rejected images (too small and/or extreme aspect ratios) when using WordPress v4.2+. When previously dismissed warnings are found, an additional notice will be shown to allow these warnings to be displayed again temporarily.
This release also include code improvements for small performance gains on the admin side (tooltip and message lookups, for example). Developers should note that filtering of individual meta tags has been disabled by default, and can be re-enabled using the WPSSO_FILTER_SINGLE_TAGS constant. Some tooltip and message lookup filter names have also been changed, which meant releasing updates for all WPSSO extension plugins as well.
- New Features
- Added the ability to dismiss image dimension warnings when using WordPress 4.2+.
- The "Pro Authentication ID" option is now included on the Pro Licenses settings page for all plugins / extensions with a Pro version available (and not only for active plugins / extensions).
- Developer Notes
- Moved the 'installed_version' and 'ua_plugin' filter methods from Wpsso to the WpssoUtil class.
- Added a new entries in the options table (wpsso_timestamps) for installed, activated, and updated timestamps.
- Improved the setting of constants with new
get_variable_constants()methods in the WpssoConfig class.
- Refactored the
uninstall_plugin()method in the WpssoRegister class to use the new
- Added a new WPSSO_FILTER_SINGLE_TAGS constant to enable filtering of individual meta tags (disabled by default).
- Added new WPSSO_TS_NAME, WPSSO_NOTICE_NAME, and WPSSO_DISMISS_NAME constants.
- Added new SucomUtil
update_option_key()static methods to update values within an option.
- Refactored most of the SucomNotice class code. Notice messages are now saved as array keys (instead of array elements) with a payload array as their value. This allows notice messages to have a number of properties (message ID string, dismissible true/false, etc.).
- Added a new SucomNotice
ajax_dismiss_notice()method to handle dismissible notices.
- Added a new
$dismissargument to all SucomNotice logging methods.
- Added a new "Reset Hidden Notices" button on the WPSSO settings pages.
- Refactored the WpssoMessages->get() method a slight speed improvement. Please note that 'wpsso_tooltip_*' filters have been renamed to 'wpsso_messages_tooltip_*' (adjust your filter hooks accordingly).
Version 3.7.4 (2015/08/29)
- New Features
- Fixed a Facebook debugger error for 'fb:admins' with multiple comma-delimited values by creating additionl 'fb:admins' meta tags (with a single value each).
- Developer Notes
- Moved the Open Graph type and Schema itemtype lists to arrays under WpssoConfig::$cf['head'].
- Added three new filters to accept under-sized images individually (see filters.txt for details).
Version 3.7.3 (2015/08/26)
- New Features
- Refactored / improved the WpssoCheck->get_avail() method for a slight speed improvement when checking dependencies.
- Fixed an incorrect warning message for an empty Video Embed option value in the Social Settings metabox.
- Developer Notes
Version 8.7.2 (2015/08/23)
- New Features
- Fixed a missing "R" issue in titles and descriptions by replacing the '\R' regex escape sequence by '\n\r' (the '\R' escape sequence does not appear to be supported by all PHP versions).
- Developer Notes
- Refactored / improved the SucomUtil class is_post_page(), is_term_page(), is_author_page() methods.
- Added is_product_page(), is_product_category, and is_product_tag() methods in the SucomUtil class for the WooCommerce module.
- Refactored the WooCommerce module to use the new SucomUtil is_product methods for a slight performance improvement (Pro version).
Version 3.7.1 (2015/08/21)
- New Features
- Fixed / improved duplicate meta tag pattern matching by allowing extra newline characters added by W3TC.
- Developer Notes
Version 3.7 (2015/08/18)
- New Features
- Added support for the WordPress REST API (Version 2) plugin (Pro version).
- Developer Notes
- The WPSSO WordPress REST API v2 module extends the returned /wp-json/wp/v2/posts (including custom post types), terms, and users JSON with a new 'head' array field consisting of 'html' and 'parts' arrays (Pro version).
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use the Pro version on multiple websites?
- Does LinkedIn read the Open Graph meta tags?
- Doesn’t an SEO plugin cover that?
- How can I exclude / ignore certain parts of the content text?
- How can I fix a ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error?
- How can I fix an “HTTP error” when uploading images?
- How can I have smaller dimensions for the default image?
- How can I see what Facebook sees?
- How can I share a single NextGEN Gallery image?
- How do I attach an image without showing it on the webpage?
- How do I fix my theme’s front page pagination?
- How do I install the WPSSO Pro version?
- How does WPSSO find / detect / select images?
- W3C says “there is no attribute ‘property’”
- What about Google Search and Google Plus?
- What features of NextGEN Gallery are supported?
- What is the difference between NGFB and WPSSO?
- What is the difference between the Free and Pro versions?
- Why aren’t Pins from my website posting Rich?
- Why do my Facebook shares have small images?
- Why does Facebook play videos instead of linking them?
- Why does Facebook show the wrong image / text?
- Why does Google Structured Data Testing Tool show errors?
- Why does WPSSO ignore some <img/> HTML tags?
- Why don’t my Twitter Cards show on Twitter?
- Why is the Open Graph title the same for every webpage?
- Why is the page blank or its components misaligned?
Articles and Tutorials
- How To Optimize Your Content For Social Networks Using WordPress
- Social SEO: Yoast SEO (aka WordPress SEO) vs WPSSO — read about the differences between Yoast SEO and WPSSO when used for social sharing.
- About Pro Modules
- Contact Information and Feeds
- Developer Resources
- Filter Examples
- Filters by Category
- Filters by Name
- Other Filters
- Inline Variables
- Multisite / Network Support
- Performance Tuning
- Working with Image Attachments